Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ah, where do I begin... ?

Hmm, is that even right? Can you put a question mark after an ellipsis? Ha ha ha... Well, I was sitting in my introductory course of Philosophy today and I realized that I always have an opinion about several things unless I am spacing out, which I do quite often, and that I never share it out of my own accord or I am afraid to when the professor asks us if we have any comments or questions. That is when it occurred to me, that I should start up a blog and posts my opinions there. Even if no one ever finds out about them, I though that it would be a great idea so that I may possibly expand on them. By the way, I am listening to Arcade Fire's The Suburbs. They have really great music if you have not already listened to them and are reading this. Anyhow, I digress. Today, in my Philosophy class, we, I shouldn't say we since the professor does most of the talking, were talking about what is real. We were going over certain "isms" and were shown the allegory of the cave. If you are unfamiliar with this allegory, I would recommend looking it up as it provides an interesting insight into some of the ways we perceive our world today. Continuing, throughout lecture I was just having an internal discussion with myself and thinking, "What is real?" Plato suggested that an idea is more real than the physical. This is called idealism or idea-ism. That is when I asked myself, "How can someone, or something, not so real as a human think that an idea is more real than they are?" That is when my internal debate began in the middle of class. I thought to myself, I don't believe a thought is more real than matter. Then I refuted that thought with what I believe to be a great philosophical perspective, that everything is an opinion. It is important to recognize that that statement in itself is an opinion as well and I don't expect anyone to believe it. Here was a man who had an opinion, like many others such as Socrates and Aristotle, and many do not seem to realize that. After having realized this, I went on a different tangent with my philosophical view of this universe. Could it be that perfection does not exist? Could it be that we don't exist and that everything is false? I mean, if perfection did exist, then there would probably be no room for anything, no room for imagination or opinion. We simply wouldn't be, as in non-existent. On the other hand, what if this universe is perfect and everything is the way it should be? I didn't elaborate much on the latter theory, but I thought it was interesting to consider as I believe everything to be an opinion. This is pretty much where my thoughts ended on that topic before class ended. Thanks for reading. We'll see if I come up with thoughts on other matters and post a second blog or more.

No comments:

Post a Comment